Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginnings in Brewerton- In Character Thread

Blog Entries

Default Beginnings in Brewerton- In Character Thread

Many adventures begin in taverns, full of ale and song, with innkeepers and barmaids, Drunks and people with problems. This one...does not.

The sparkling snow outside fails to make an impact on the inside of the building. A fire in a hearth burns brightly. A few people sit at wooden tables and talk quietly or write busily. A large corkboard reading 'Job Requests' on it dominates one side of the room, a few people studying the parchments posted on it. The other side, the one you are facing , is dominated by a surly female dwarf and a cheerful, inkstained, male Halfling both sit behind a heavy oaken desk, with a small stepladder in front.

This is the Brewerton office of the Adventurer's Guild, an organization licensing, insuring, and regulating adventurers. As natives of the land of Arathain, or the wilderness to the North, you know that no one, from the local lord with secret affairs of state and delevieries, to the humble farmer with his livestock problems would trust an adventurer without their license.

And that is why on this winter day, you're all standing in line. The gentleman in front of you, a human carrying a longbow receives a small scroll from the Halfling and Dwarf, then turns and exits. The dwarf waves to the line. “Alright. Get up here whoever's next. I don't have all day.”

A thin layer of snow speckled Guryaasa's ash brown hair and faded away among the whites and grays of her furs, generously donated by the beasts of the north, which she had pulled around to cover her right side. Beneath her thick padding she had a tight grip on her musket, pointed downwards and hidden along the shape of her leg. The cracked wooden stock needed constant rebinding to stop it falling apart, the trigger was loose and could only connect to its mechanism by pushing it to the left and the muzzle had a deep crack along its side. Regardless it was her weapon, often her only companion and together they had gotten out of several tight spots.

Holding onto her dear friend, Guryaasa's large yet dexterous feet ascended the three steps of wooden stepladder. One of the legs was shorter than the rest, causing the whole thing to rock ever so slightly though the halfling swiftly found a balance, despite the bulk from her clothes. She looked between the dwarf and the halfling, still not certain what they wanted despite watching numerous people in front of her complete their test, most leaving with small scrolls, adventuring licenses. It was novel to her that the civil people put so much faith in such a small scroll. To her a problem could be solved by anyone, paper or not. As such they should be rewarded the same. Putting aside past hurt feelings she stayed quiet, she was entering into the civil world. It would be best to follow their customs, for a while at least.
    -Active-
    Bright-eyed idealist Briar Williams and her Vigilante façade Poppet

Blog Entries

The Halfling whose nameplate declared him to be Joto Quickfinger began sketching Guryaasaa on a scroll. The dwarf, whose nameplate read 'Hulda Rockfist' sighed tiredly. "Name, Weapons, and skillset, please. And don't take forever, there's still quite a few behind you." She turned to Joto. "That's double for you, clodfoot." The Dwarf filled in 'Halfling' and 'Female' in slots for race and gender on the scroll without asking Guryaasa about them.
    Joto kept sketching, ignoring her. he was obviously used to working with Hulda and dealing with her insults.

Noticing Joto's quick and surprisingly accurate sketching skills Guryaasa pulls her hair further across her face obscuring the right side of it. "Guryaasa Lightcup, uhmm. Axe... moosekit?" She turned to Joto and spoke in halfling hoping he'd be able to understand her better. "Musket. I've not had much reason to learn your common tongue. What does she mean by 'skillset'?" Her voice was layered in a thick, unwavering monotone as she spoke, almost as though she were half asleep or bored.
    -Active-

Blog Entries

Joto nodded without lookign up. "Yeah." He turned to Hulda and spoke a sentance in Dwarvish to her. Hulda nodded and wrote down 'firearm' under weapons. Joto Paused for a second before continuing in Halfling to Guryaasa. "Skillset means what you're good at. like in a party. are you better fighting upfront or in teh back? are you a caster or not? Can you heal?" He finished his sketch and sprinkled sand on it to dry it off.

"Oh I've not really been in a party... I'd say I'm a hunter, hiding, climbing, shooting, 'fighting in the back' though I can dodge, swords and claws." She paused to think. "Caster? You mean like a shaman or witch? No I can't do that, I can't do magic healing either. I can dress a wound though, set a broken bone if its needed. Oh I know about buildings too!" Her voice gained some semblance of emotion though it faded swiftly. "Though I suppose that doesn't help with fighting, most buildings don't fight... Do they?"
    -Active-

Blog Entries

Joto spoke another phrase and Hulda jotted down. "Ranged fighter" under skillset.
    He turned to address her. "Not ususally, though I've heard tales from adventurers about what some whacked out dwarves and gnomes have done with automatons." He took a stamp and pressed it onto the bottom of the scroll, certifying her liscence as official, then slid the scroll, with sketch included across to her. "There you go and welcome to the Adventurer's Guild. Feel free to browse the board over there for jobs. and if you ever need a place to stay, any Adventurer's Guild is free for you." He guestured to the line. "Next, Please."

Guryaasa stepped of the stepladder, falling gracefully to the floor without so much as batting an eye. She glanced over at the job board though the warmth of the fire embraced her. She seated her self near the hearth and looked over her adventurer license, silently trying to mouth out the words scribed upon it.
    -Active-

Blog Entries

Arasmes was taking in his surroundings, especially the people. The stage is set, he thought to himself. He longed for beauty, and there was so much potential here. I suppose I must make do with this tawdry setting.

When the halfling was done, he steps forward: "Name's Arasmes, human male, caster and a student of beauty. No sketcher's picture could match my craft.", he tells to Joto, feeling deep sadness at the crude art. "People would literally die to see me perform. I could make you beautiful, too, if you wanted.", he offers.

Blog Entries

Hulda glared at him. "Hush it pretty boy." She filled in Arasmas. Human. Male. Caster. No weapons. In the appropriate slots. She shot a glare at Joto, who was speedsketching with great accuracy and trying not to snicker at the same time. "No laughing, Stumpy."
    Joto did his best pokerface. "Of course not, Hulda. I wouldn't think of it."
    He stamped the paper and handed it to Aramas. "Welcome to the Adventurer's Guild. Fee free to check to job board or to relax and mingle."

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast