Page 45 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC thread

Another thought, I was just recently playing a character but came to feel he was a fit for that particular game/campaign. So I had him leave the game for his own reasons, and I introduced another character I had made as a backup. Maybe the same is true for Arasmes? Maybe he's more geared toward a campaign of strictly evil guys? A game where casually murdering a unarmed woman because she doesn't answer a question is less uncomfortable.

If you're like me, you probably have a million and one other character ideas.

Anyway, I'm just brainstorming here. Do feel free to disregard this thought.

Blog Entries

Oh, I do have a million ideas for characters, but they always lean to cruel or insane. I'm a very kind and gentle person IRL, but the role-playing provides me with means to try to think like famous villains such as Hannibal Lecter, Joker, Loki etc. For Arasmes, the inspiration was jhin, the virtuoso, a LoL character.

Firstly on the whole Powdered Mummy Skin thing. Since mummys need to hit you with their slam attack to cause Mummy Rot, its not a noxious fume stemming from them, its logical their powdered flesh would need to touch you to have any effect. Since it needs to be inhaled it strikes me rather similar to cocaine. So tossing cocaine from a vial at someones feet wouldn't do much, even a direct shot to the nose/mouth would have most of it just splatter on the face rather than be inhaled. The difficulty of actually getting it into someone's system unwilling seems to balance the rather high DC. But that's just my interpretation. (Getting huge flashbacks to Spoony's Squirt Gun Wars while reading that.)

With Arasmes I've been feeling kinda eh with him throughout since its fairly clear he is unhinged. And that's part of his character which is fine, you've listed some characters that are great like that, but in my experience with these types is that they don't gel well with what others tend to bring to a table and they don't tend to be characters I would want to play with since I start questioning why my character would travel and potentially put themselves in danger with someone clearly mad beyond they're a player character. I initially wanted to bring a paladin on board so you can guess my typical playstyle.

I'm not having as much fun as I was expecting, and that's not a slight against anyone, I think its mostly me trying out a less talky more bruiser character and not enjoying it and a few other preferences and small petty irritations. So I think I will bow out.

I wish you guys luck and hope you have fun with whatever you're going to do.
    -Active-
    Bright-eyed idealist Briar Williams and her Vigilante façade Poppet

Blog Entries

I hate to see you leave but good luck. If you'd rather switch to Paladin, I'll let you

Wow I take a few days off from checking the game and all hell breaks loose.

Well as far as Mills goes I see 2 options, one of which might not be acceptable to Lake. That is to request PVP. It sounds like several of us wouldn't want to continue on if Arasmes was able to get that past us so I'll forgo the perception roll. Perhaps his comment is enough to deduce what he has done given what we've seen of him so far. Maybe the others would stay in that scenario and if Mills went down, so be it... they might be able to finish what he started.

Otherwise, with Gury and Lith leaving, Mills would have no reason to stay so I would probably withdraw as well. He doesn't talk much but I have a very clear idea who Mills is... he looks up to Lith and has become fond of and a bit protective of Gury. He likes Plesio and Oru well enough but doesn't have a strong connection with them. Arasmes he pretty much detests and without his friends there he wouldn't tolerate. They've been at odds as far back as the skunk debate LOL but what was fun as creative tension in the party has pretty much run its course at this point. Given his mistrust of his own race, Arasmes is the type of human that Mills would think deserves to die in his own vigilante justice world view especially if he thought he killed an innocent woman on a whim.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grensen View Post
    Firstly on the whole Powdered Mummy Skin thing. Since mummys need to hit you with their slam attack to cause Mummy Rot, its not a noxious fume stemming from them, its logical their powdered flesh would need to touch you to have any effect. Since it needs to be inhaled it strikes me rather similar to cocaine. So tossing cocaine from a vial at someones feet wouldn't do much, even a direct shot to the nose/mouth would have most of it just splatter on the face rather than be inhaled. The difficulty of actually getting it into someone's system unwilling seems to balance the rather high DC. But that's just my interpretation. (Getting huge flashbacks to Spoony's Squirt Gun Wars while reading that.)
    Thankfully, the rules are so clear on the subject that interpretation is not needed:

When a character takes a drug, he immediately gains the effects, an amount of ability damage, and must make a Fortitude save to resist becoming addicted to that drug (see Addiction).
    Quote Originally Posted by Drug format
    Type: This notes how the drug is introduced into the system. These types equate to the types most common to poisons: contact, ingestion, inhalation, injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powdered mummy skin
    Damage 1 Wis and 1 Dex damage, contract mummy rot
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisons
    Inhaled: These poisons are delivered the moment a creature enters an area containing such poisons and do not usually have an onset time. For most inhaled poisons, 1 dose fills a volume equal to a 10-foot cube.
    With Arasmes I've been feeling kinda eh with him throughout since its fairly clear he is unhinged. And that's part of his character which is fine, you've listed some characters that are great like that, but in my experience with these types is that they don't gel well with what others tend to bring to a table and they don't tend to be characters I would want to play with since I start questioning why my character would travel and potentially put themselves in danger with someone clearly mad beyond they're a player character. I initially wanted to bring a paladin on board so you can guess my typical playstyle.
    The character can easily be changed to a peaceful clever trickster who loves debating the nature of perception and reality. I like having fun, but not at expense of someone else's enjoyment. Still, I find you can be a hero in ordinary life as much as you want, being a villain will probably land you in jail. The game allows you to experience that life and new=fun, for me at least.

About danger, no character was in any danger from Arasmes at any point. Even the woman everyone would be looking at if his actions were real, no one would have any idea about what actually happened or that the woman is in danger, even she wouldn't know that. So there's not even danger from finding out that she would die a few days later because of him or from being pursued by authorities. The only danger would stem from mixing player's knowledge with character's knowledge.

I'm not having as much fun as I was expecting, and that's not a slight against anyone, I think its mostly me trying out a less talky more bruiser character and not enjoying it and a few other preferences and small petty irritations. So I think I will bow out.

I wish you guys luck and hope you have fun with whatever you're going to do.
    Sorry you weren't having fun, you could tell by how much you were posting that something was wrong. Good luck to you too .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Rune View Post
    Wow I take a few days off from checking the game and all hell breaks loose.

Well as far as Mills goes I see 2 options, one of which might not be acceptable to Lake. That is to request PVP. It sounds like several of us wouldn't want to continue on if Arasmes was able to get that past us so I'll forgo the perception roll. Perhaps his comment is enough to deduce what he has done given what we've seen of him so far. Maybe the others would stay in that scenario and if Mills went down, so be it... they might be able to finish what he started.

Otherwise, with Gury and Lith leaving, Mills would have no reason to stay so I would probably withdraw as well. He doesn't talk much but I have a very clear idea who Mills is... he looks up to Lith and has become fond of and a bit protective of Gury. He likes Plesio and Oru well enough but doesn't have a strong connection with them. Arasmes he pretty much detests and without his friends there he wouldn't tolerate. They've been at odds as far back as the skunk debate LOL but what was fun as creative tension in the party has pretty much run its course at this point. Given his mistrust of his own race, Arasmes is the type of human that Mills would think deserves to die in his own vigilante justice world view especially if he thought he killed an innocent woman on a whim.
    If I had known that there would be such a reaction from players, I would have PMed Arasmes' actions to Lake after the quest was completed and everyone left instead, leaving the woman to die without anyone knowing. It's one thing if characters can't idly stand by knowing something (which in this case, they wouldn't know), but it's another if players can't stand knowing something which their character's don't and can't know.

Would you be more comfortable making not known to you whatever is not known to your character? I can do that, easy peasy. I can even make another character which would be altruistic, charming, friendly, sane and you would never suspect otherwise, no inner monologue, no posting actions where everyone can read them if he/she's alone. I honestly wouldn't mind if that makes anyone feel better.

Blog Entries

I think it basically breaks down to Arasmas is too chaotic and dark for the party. He's The Joker running around with a bunch of jedi padawans. And you basically for the most part let arasmas become your group's 'face' as it were. If you feel that the current composition does not work together, Maybe it'd be better to just make a new character and scrap the other one. We are only Level 2 after all. And we are in recruitment right now for replacement players.

Quote Originally Posted by elan View Post
    If I had known that there would be such a reaction from players, I would have PMed Arasmes' actions to Lake after the quest was completed and everyone left instead, leaving the woman to die without anyone knowing. It's one thing if characters can't idly stand by knowing something (which in this case, they wouldn't know), but it's another if players can't stand knowing something which their character's don't and can't know.

Would you be more comfortable making not known to you whatever is not known to your character? I can do that, easy peasy. I can even make another character which would be altruistic, charming, friendly, sane and you would never suspect otherwise, no inner monologue, no posting actions where everyone can read them if he/she's alone. I honestly wouldn't mind if that makes anyone feel better.
    I understand what you're saying about player knowledge vs. character knowledge. If we didn't already have 2 players leaving over the incident I'd probably just keep on rolling with the game but the truth is our characters were always incompatible and Mills would have left a while ago if I wasn't just going with it for the sake of the game rather than doing exactly what I think my character would do.

In any case I have a lot going on IRL right now so I think this is a sign to just go ahead and bow out. You are a great roleplayer Elan and Lake you've been doing an awesome job your first time DMing. I had fun playing, thanks to everyone.

Edit: not really correct to say Grensen is leaving over the incident but also has a hard time imagining why their character would team up with someone like Arasmes
    Last edited by Indigo Rune; 07-05-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Thank you for your kind words, Indigo.

I've made the first replacement character, a gnome bard (negotiator archetype), sheet here. Still have to buy the rest of equipment. He speaks 13 languages, can blend spellcasting within a performance and is good at acting, bargaining and making things appear as different things. Excels in social situations.

The other one I'll make will be a human life oracle. She's obsessed with keeping everyone safe, quite paranoid, altruistic to a fault and a can hardly stand anyone near her being hurt. And she's a masochist.

Lake, is it ok for me to take the "merciful" oracle's curse?

If a non-enemy character who is adjacent asks you to heal them, or asks you for help and you can tell they have taken damage or drain or suffer from a disease or poison, you must help them on your next tum. If they have a condition or suffer from a poison or disease that you can neutralize or cure with any ability you possess or any spell you can cast, you must do so as your next action. Otherwise, if they have taken any damage, you must cast a spell or use an ability that heals hit points. Also, you cannot perform a coup de grace. You gain the ability to lay on hands, as the paladin ability, using your curse level as your paladin level.
    At 5th level, you gain a mercy, as the paladin ability.
    At 10th level, you gain a second mercy, and can exchange your first mercy for a different one.
    At 15th level, you gain a third mercy, and can exchange one of your existing mercies for a different one.

Page 45 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast