Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypothetical PBP

I can't tell you much more about how THOSE maps to D&D because that is a work in progress. I can tell you that most changes are changes in the scales of range, weight, and speed. There are only two approaches to curule creation at this point: either create anything you feel like--as long as you follow the D&D creation rules--and then see what comes out; or create character that works the way you want it to work as a D&D character, and then see what comes out. If you don't like the result, change the aspects of the character that you don't like. The pbp will be starting with playtest scenarios; in other words, it's not about challenging your character; it's about developing the system through the lens of your character.

In terms of ranges, melee weapons will be converted to weapons that have ranges ranging from melee, to various short ranges around your curule/lictor, say 5-10 squares. Short range weapons such as thrown weapons will be converted to weapons that have ranges between 10 squares and line of sight. Ranged weapons, especially ones that have ranges greater than 10, will become ranges with weapons beyond a character's normal line of sight. The shortest of these ranged weapons will have ranges like sniper rifles. Other ranged weapons will concentrate on indirect or remote fire, such as drone- or satellite-mounted weapons.

I need clarification on what you mean by lightening. There are two separate common game meanings for lightening, and then there are two other, separate meanings for lightning. Are you interested in lightening, like lightening one's load; lightening, like the opposite of darkening; lightning, like the in-game damage type; or lightning like the physical phenomenon of electrostatic discharge through a plasma corridor?
    • lightening one's load - choose non-weapon- and non-armor-oriented characters like most arcane characters; the THOSE versions of most other equipment are light enough that I don't expect I will be making much use of the encumbrance game mechanic.
    • lightening an area - the question of light becomes the question of detection; increasing the available light in an area is akin to active methods of detection; passive methods of detection are changes in modes of sensing: races, magic items, and/or abilities that give your character lowlight vision, darkvision, blindsight, tremorsense, and such.
    • lightning the damage type - damage types are still a work in progress. Arcane and divine characters, and some primal characters, tend to have a lot of lightning-based powers at their disposal. Specific lightning-oriented classes off the top of my head are wizards, sorcerers, artificers, wardens, invokers, and druids. If you are not familiar with a character class listed, I can provide a brief summary. Even if you are attracted to a character class that doesn't normally use lightning, like a rogue, it is still possible to use magic items, such as lightning-based weapons, and I can provide advice to that end.
    • lightning as an electrostatic discharge - a number of weapons and abilities can simply be "reskinned" to involve plasma and electricity.

As for stealth, even if you choose a class that doesn't have Stealth as one of its class skills, you can spend a feat on skill training to gain training in Stealth, or you can use your character's Background Benefit to swap one of its starting Trained skills for Stealth. For extraordinary stealth, obviously the Rogue class (and the Thief sub-class) are the masters of this sort of thing. If you don't want to be a Rogue outright, I can provide a list of other classes that emphasize Stealth to greater or lesser extents, or you can choose Rogue as a multi-class or a hybrid class. Hybrid classes are discussed in Player's Handbook 3, and again, I can provide a basic summary to walk you through it, if necessary.

Finally, also discussed in Player's Handbook 3, if you are Trained in Stealth, you can use "Utility Skill Powers," basically swapping one or more of the Utility Powers you would normally be entitled to at levels 2, 6, and 10 for a Stealth-based Utility Power. I'll provide a summary of those right here:
    • Level 2 Stealth Utility Power - Obscured Avoidance. This power can end marks placed on your character if your character has concealment from the enemy marking you. THOSE version: probably no change.
    • Level 6 Stealth Utility Power - Concealed Shift. Allows you to Shift if an enemy misses you with ranged or melee attacks while you have concealment or cover from that enemy. THOSE version: will probably increase the amount of the Shift.
    • Level 6 Stealth Utility Power - Shrouding Gloom. Decreases the requirements necessary to make a Stealth check in order to hide. THOSE version: probably no change and described by something akin to the Thermoptic Camouflage as popularized by the Ghost in the Shell franchise.
    • Level 10 Stealth Utility Power - Crowd Cover. Defends against enemy attacks and potentially redirects them to other, nearby enemies. THOSE version: probably will increase the range of effect.
    • Level 10 Stealth Utility Power - Persistent Tail. Allows you to move in response to one target's movements and decreases the requirements necessary to make a Stealth check in order to hide. THOSE version: probably no change and described by an advanced form of Thermoptic Camouflage combined with powered armor.

2. Default

Yes, lightning as a damage type. I think I'll attempt to build a multi-class Rogue with some lightning based skills.

How the damage types are "skinned" into THOSE I'm not overly concerned about.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I proceed down this path?
    Ariellana, Noxias, and everybody in July.

The first recommendation is to make sure that your attribute reflect both the primary attribute of Rogues, Dexterity, with the primary attribute of the lightning-using class. Ideally, you would want the important attributes to mesh as closely as possible. Besides Dexterity, many Rogues tend to benefit from either Strength or Charisma. Of the lightning-wielding classes, this immediately suggests the Sorcerer, who is an arcane striker. Both Rogues and Sorcerers are strikers, so there is the hope of complementary tactics. Even better, the Sorcerer's primary attribute is Charisma, and the secondary attribute is either Strength or Dexterity. Therefore, a Rogue with multi-classing in Sorcerer would ideally have very high Dexterity and Charisma, with a possible tertiary attribute of Strength.

To gain multi-classing, you will need to use one of the Sorcerer multi-classing feats described in Player's Handbook 2, which I can summarize for you later. More importantly, you will want to use the general multi-classing feats described in the Player's Handbook, which allow you to trade a Rogue encounter, utility, or daily power for the equivalent Sorcerer's spell. Specific Sorcerer lightning spells of note are the 5th level Daily spell Serpentine Blast and the 7th level Encounter spell Chaos Storm.

If you wish to multi-class with a class that has a different primary attribute, that is not an insurmountable problem, but then you really have to focus on both primary attributes (they should both be at least 18) and not get distracted by secondary attributes for either class.

4. Default

Hmm, well I didn't get too far and it looks like Yrisz is back.

I'll keep plugging away at this.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and everybody in July.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12