Thread: TransHuman Outer Space Experiment THOSE

Hybrid View

Default TransHuman Outer Space Experiment THOSE

The TransHuman Outer Space Experiment (THOSE) is a custom rpg with an interstellar setting. The rules are being based mostly on various flavors of D&D, primarily fourth edition. Gaming sessions will be conducted as regularly-scheduled chat sessions using the Maptool virtual tabletop.

The player characters in THOSE play the role of overminds: highly developed colonial software intelligences that maintain numerous biological and machine agents. They travel through space seeking to reestablish trade and ties with the disparate colonies of Earth in the hope of eventual unification with a galaxy-spanning meta-civilization. Overminds possess several layers of existence:
    • the Overmind itself
    • d-craft, used for long-range interstellar travel and usually containing an archival copy of the overmind
    • starships, used for short-range interstellar and inter-system travel, often housing the overmind itself
    • shells, smaller planetary transports and anti-ship weapons
    • curules, capable cyborg bodies that overminds directly act through
    • lictors, semi-disposable cyborg bodies that are controlled remotely, sometimes through nearby curules

For now, feel free to use this thread to post your characters-in-progress and discuss how you wish to proceed. As time permits, I will post rules, examples, and setting information here, too.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 12-01-2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: title capitalization "help" is not helpful

2. Default

Cool! I'm jealous! Too bad it's maptool

Umi, do you think you would ever do a game based on Shadowrun?
    Ariellana, Noxias, and everybody in July.

I ran a game of Shadowrun, probably around 1992. I remember I was using the first edition but there was already some second edition material available. I'd say I did a pretty poor job of it, by my own estimation back then, and certainly in my present judgment. I don't remember anything about the adventure I wrote except that it involved a familiar, an elemental, and a high-rise break-in.

I don't have any plans to revisit Shadowrun. While I liked the idea at the time and it was fairly novel, I eventually came to avoid most "magitech" settings. The closest I'll get to Shadowrun are my Feng Shui games that I've run in a contemporary fantasy "everything but the kitchen sink" world.

Blog Entries

Before I get too busy with school (big exam on Friday), I wanted to share what I came up with, because they include questions! Regarding shells, my understanding was we pick one or two Focii, and every stat starts at level 1, except Hyperspace Transmission and Transcendent Manifolds. Those start at 0, unless we declare them as a focus, or if we declare the shell has no focus? That was the understanding I took when I knocked out these stats. So I could very well be way off!

1) Golden Focus: Transcendence and Hyperspace
    Operations: 2 Processing: 2 Hyperspace Transmission: 2 Transcendent Manifolds: 4

2) Silver Focus: Transcendence and Hyperspace
    Operations: 3 Processing: 2 Hyperspace Transmission: 4 Transcendent Manifolds: 1

3) Bronze Focus: Operations
    Operations: 5 Processing: 3 Hyperspace Transmission: 0 Transcendent Manifolds: 0

4) Iron Focus: None
    Operations: 4 Processing: 4 Hyperspace Transmission: 1 Transcendent Manifolds: 1

And regarding lictors, were we supposed to choose a role for them even if they aren't combat-oriented? Most of mine are, so I don't need to worry about it too much. But in any case, I'll share those here, so we could consider synergizing our skill list.

Coalsack Role: Controller Skills: Demolitions (2)

Pipe Role: Artillery Skills: Long Range Combat (1), Medical (1)

HorseHead Role: Soldier Skills: Close Combat (1), Embedded Systems (1)

Eagle Role: Brute Skills: Information Systems (2)

Hope everyone has a good week.

Quote Originally Posted by OtterKnow View Post
    Before I get too busy with school (big exam on Friday), I wanted to share what I came up with, because they include questions! Regarding shells, my understanding was we pick one or two Focii, and every stat starts at level 1, except Hyperspace Transmission and Transcendent Manifolds. Those start at 0, unless we declare them as a focus, or if we declare the shell has no focus? That was the understanding I took when I knocked out these stats. So I could very well be way off!

1) Golden Focus: Transcendence and Hyperspace
    Operations: 2 Processing: 2 Hyperspace Transmission: 2 Transcendent Manifolds: 4

2) Silver Focus: Transcendence and Hyperspace
    Operations: 3 Processing: 2 Hyperspace Transmission: 4 Transcendent Manifolds: 1

3) Bronze Focus: Operations
    Operations: 5 Processing: 3 Hyperspace Transmission: 0 Transcendent Manifolds: 0

4) Iron Focus: None
    Operations: 4 Processing: 4 Hyperspace Transmission: 1 Transcendent Manifolds: 1

And regarding lictors, were we supposed to choose a role for them even if they aren't combat-oriented? Most of mine are, so I don't need to worry about it too much. But in any case, I'll share those here, so we could consider synergizing our skill list.

Coalsack Role: Controller Skills: Demolitions (2)

Pipe Role: Artillery Skills: Long Range Combat (1), Medical (1)

HorseHead Role: Soldier Skills: Close Combat (1), Embedded Systems (1)

Eagle Role: Brute Skills: Information Systems (2)

Hope everyone has a good week.
    The point distributions for your shells are exactly right. Shells with no focus, or a dual focus in both hyperspace transmission and transcendent manifolds have ten total points. Shells with a focus in just operations and/or processing have eight points. All other shells total nine points.

Yes, I would like a combat role too. Lictors have combat stats even when they aren't designed to be combat-oriented. What you've done with your lictors is correct.

I would like to reiterate that even though your characters are starting with four curules and 16 lictors, and each type of lictor should be shared by at least four of your lictors, I only need the following statistics for Saturday's game:
    • one curule
    • one type of lictor (you will have four of your lictors available and they will all have this one type)

Everything else, like the shells, is going to be for future playtests. However, I am happy you are designing the shells and lictors here so that we can get these questions settled.

Default "Hathor's Leap," First Play-test Session

The first play-test session of Hathor's Leap will begin at 4:00 pm PST on Saturday, December 5th, with game-play to start no later than 4:30 pm. We will meet as determined in the email circular.

I expect we, or at least I, will be finishing up some character creation details for at least part of the session. We will review the disposition and relation of the PCs' fundamental components. I will introduce the Exiled colony of Fiddler's Green and a basic plotline. We will attempt to test some combat involving curules and/or lictors.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    I ran a game of Shadowrun, probably around 1992. I remember I was using the first edition but there was already some second edition material available. I'd say I did a pretty poor job of it, by my own estimation back then, and certainly in my present judgment. I don't remember anything about the adventure I wrote except that it involved a familiar, an elemental, and a high-rise break-in.

I don't have any plans to revisit Shadowrun. While I liked the idea at the time and it was fairly novel, I eventually came to avoid most "magitech" settings. The closest I'll get to Shadowrun are my Feng Shui games that I've run in a contemporary fantasy "everything but the kitchen sink" world.
    So no chances on finding a new PBP on this board run by you which would include most/all of the following: guns, character customization (like implants), near future or post apocalyptic setting, magic-like classes/roles (maybe enabled by technology), ballistic armor, classes/roles which can summon or create "pets"?

I would try a PBP Feng Shui but I'm not familiar with the system at all beyond a passing knowledge that it has to do with martial arts.

I think you've mentioned in the past how much of a pain it is to run PBP, but it would be really (really) cool if you wanted to do another!
    Ariellana, Noxias, and everybody in July.

Quote Originally Posted by malk0lm View Post
    So no chances on finding a new PBP on this board run by you which would include most/all of the following: guns, character customization (like implants), near future or post apocalyptic setting, magic-like classes/roles (maybe enabled by technology), ballistic armor, classes/roles which can summon or create "pets"?

I would try a PBP Feng Shui but I'm not familiar with the system at all beyond a passing knowledge that it has to do with martial arts.

I think you've mentioned in the past how much of a pain it is to run PBP, but it would be really (really) cool if you wanted to do another!
    That's a complicated question, so let me decompose it a bit in my reply.

Feng Shui supports a wide variety of genre elements. Besides martial arts, it's got guns, super-science, magic, monsters, time travel, alternate realities, and probably other stuff. I use some of that in my Feng Shui game. More specific details are covered in the first five posts of the Old, Dark Road thread in this sub-forum. However, like most rpgs with "rules-lite" leanings, I have found the Feng Shui mechanics to be lacking when compared to the promise of the setting. Therefore, I do not think I will be running a Feng Shui pbp game, where I'm likely to be stuck with the system for months or years to come.

However, I have said in the past that it would be difficult for me to run another pbp but not completely impossible. I'm willing to discuss the matter further. In such a case, I'd to briefly discuss each element you proposed in terms of whether or not I would be willing to incorporate it into a hypothetical pbp.
    • guns - I don't mind guns in an rpg setting. However, for aesthetic reasons, I don't like to deal with guns in a medieval fantasy-like setting.
    • character customization (like implants) - I'm fine with this in most cases.
    • near future or post apocalyptic setting - I particularly mislike post-apocalyptic settings and don't run them. Similarly, I would prefer to run either a contemporary setting or a far-future setting as opposed to a near-future setting.
    • magic-like classes/roles (maybe enabled by technology) - I'm usually fine with this, but again, it depends on the setting. I'm planning to use magic as a stand-in for Clarkesian technology in my THOSE game, but I need to at least satisfy myself that there is some rationale for the magical effects, even a flimsy one.
    • ballistic armor - I'm neutral on this. Ballistic armor in Feng Shui isn't that great because everyone is good enough to dodge bullets and is either a crack shot or else so inaccurate that there's no need for armor in the first place. In THOSE, personal force screens usually take the place of armored clothing.
    • classes/roles which can summon or create "pets"? - This purely depends on the mechanics of the system. I don't want to manage a character's pet as a separate entity all the time, because I don't wish the additional work. I also look at whether a character who employs a pet gains an uncompensated advantage over a character who doesn't use one. I especially don't like systems where there are vast random tables of possible summoned creatures that each have to be individually written up when they appear. None of this is a problem in 4e, so 4e-like summoned creatures and pets are generally fine.