Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC Chatter [Episode 1]

Default OOC Chatter [Episode 1]

Use this thread for OOC chatter during and/or related to Episode 1. I will create new OOC threads every time we start a new episode so that they don't become too cumbersome if for some reason you need to locate something in them.

Come join us on Discord!

2. Default

That's a good idea. I wanted to ask a few questions related to the mechanics of the game:

1. Are we using any optional rules listed in the DMG? (Flanking/rest variants/hero points)

2. How are we doing crit damage?

3. Are we doing any sort of crit tables for critical successes/fumbles?

4. For higher levels, are we allowed to take the average values indicated in the PHB for HP?

Quote Originally Posted by theskyvalker View Post
    That's a good idea. I wanted to ask a few questions related to the mechanics of the game:

1. Are we using any optional rules listed in the DMG? (Flanking/rest variants/hero points)
    I was considering using the flanking optional rule, but I haven't figured out in my head how exactly it would work since we're not doing tactical maps. I'm open to suggestions before we get going. I was not planning on using rest variants or hero points. I feel that those would diminish the grittiness of my intended campaign and reduce the threat of death. You're already going to feel superheroic compared to many of the nameless NPCs, if I can work things how I envision them in my head. Heck, several of you might die before the end. Better start saving up for resurrection spells.

2. How are we doing crit damage?
    As in the PHB - you roll your damage die twice and add them together, then add any bonuses/modifiers once. (If you roll damage with your attack to save time, as I would encourage you to do, you would just roll an extra damage die and add it to your original damage total.)

3. Are we doing any sort of crit tables for critical successes/fumbles?
    Wasn't planning on it. That's more work for me and stuff for everyone to keep up with.

4. For higher levels, are we allowed to take the average values indicated in the PHB for HP?
    Roll and then take the higher of either your roll or the average indicated in the PHB (which in some cases is technically more than the average). And don't forget to add your CON mod!
    Last edited by Rellott; 06-06-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Come join us on Discord!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rellott View Post
    Roll and then take the higher of either your roll or the average indicated in the PHB (which in some cases is technically more than the average). And don't forget to add your CON mod!
    Thanks! I guess we can just roll our damage dice twice every time in order to save time in case of a crit. Once without modifiers of course.

I would think that that might just create confusion on the 95% of attack rolls that aren't crits (since statistically crits only happens every 20 attacks/5%). Have you seen it done that way and it work? How I've seen it done (and done it) in the past as a player was: once you post, check to see if you see you rolled a crit; if you did, go ahead and do another post really quickly with your additional damage roll - you can even label it as crit damage. That way has worked really well for me and the other people in the games I play in.
    Last edited by Rellott; 06-07-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Come join us on Discord!

I have not heard good things to recommend the flanking rules, especially without a battlemat. There are already so many things to grant advantage in combat.

If you really want to use flanking without a map, just simply state "I'm going to flank this enemy that this character is already attacking" and then the DM will just remember where everyone is like usual.
    "I do believe in killing the messenger. Do you know why? Because it sends a message!"

Quote Originally Posted by arcanegeek View Post
    I have not heard good things to recommend the flanking rules, especially without a battlemat. There are already so many things to grant advantage in combat.
    Could you expand on what you've heard?
    Also, something to think about with flanking and getting advantage... the enemies can get it just as well as you can.
    Last edited by Rellott; 06-07-2015 at 01:33 AM.

Come join us on Discord!

All the more fun!
    "I do believe in killing the messenger. Do you know why? Because it sends a message!"

Simply, by the 5e rules, flanking is too easy to achieve. Without a robust battlemat and forced movement a la 4e, all characters are always flanking. The losers in this scenario are solo monsters, who are supposed to be the toughest. It flattens every battle tactically to "let's both stand by that guy" and promotes sameness in combat.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast