Thread: Questions about Mithumar

Default Questions about Mithumar

Really its that simple. If you have any questions about the world you can ask here. If you do ask I would ask why you want to know. Typically the answer will be in one of three different forms:

1: This is something your character should know, so I'll tell you
    2: This is something that your character may not know, but I'll tell you because it isn't TOO story relevant and it helps to build up a stronger framework.
    3: This is something that your character does not know, and has enough to do with the story that I may not give you a straight answer, if any at all!

With this note that this world was generated for this campaign and has inherited ideas from different worlds I have made in the past. As such, this means the world is NOT fully fleshed out. You asking questions, even if they have nothing to do with the story, will help me to flesh it out further. Which will also allow me to give you a greater 'sandbox' arena to play in.

I may not know the answer to some questions, in which case it will help me to develop an answer that fits in with the world. If I don't immediately respond don't read too much into it, I may just be thinking about it. (Read the 4th character down, the mummy looking guy.)

Blog Entries

Does Aolisdawn have codified law or do local lords decide what is legal? In case of codified law, is there anything that stands out compared to what we're used to in western culture?

How are legal disputes settled there?

Aoilsdawn does have codified laws, but as would be expected in any system with Lords, the Lord's word is also law. Largely each major city and its country side all have a Lord who runs it as their estate. Some laws would be over all of Aoilsdawn, some would cover either the Monarchy or "republican" sides but not both, and then each Lord would have the ability to institute laws over their individual estate so long as they don't go against the national laws of Aoilsdawn. Laws over either side are decided by the King (of the monarchy side) or by the 'president' and a legislative group of lords for the 'republic' side.

Off the top of my head there would be little of Great significance that stands apart from western culture. There would likely be regulations for adventurers as that is a part of the culture of Aoilsdawn (Such as not bringing adventuring business into town), there would also be laws concerning how magic is to be used in cities (for example requiring permits for any public magic display, no offensive magic is to be used in the streets), There is also a greater presence of the equivalent of the United Nations: The Enfer organization. They have certain laws and rules that all nations abide by, in certain circumstances they have more authority than even the Lords. Typically those laws are involved with preventing contention (including such things as propoganda) against other nations. Of the three types given there... The Enfer Organization is likely the most standout.

As for Legal disputes it depends on a great many things. If it were something like a thief or murderer getting caught very blatantly red-handed it would simply be handled by the Guards. This is one of the jobs of Captain Steel for example. If the conditions are more suspect or of a greater threat to the peace/nation than the Lord of the region would be involved. The Lord would not likely be the judge over the matter, but one of his closer vassals would fill the role of Judge. Most punishments would be met out by the city Guard. Lord Swordwright (The commander of the East Guard Tower, only person over Captain Steel in the tower) is the vassal that oversees judgement in the area of the Capital you all are currently in, although he's high enough up that he often assigns his vassals to do such jobs. There is no jury system, the evidence is brought before the judge who decides both guilt and punishment. While there is no jury, for many cases there will be Priests and/or Court Wizards who will help with the trial to ascertain guilt. (This part can even bypass the Judge on occasions, a zone of truth asking if the guilty party was plotting to kill the king is enough to convict them, but not enough to acquit them)

Hopefully that satisfies the question. There are likely holes, some of which are intentional as they don't have the perfect government by any means, and some are simply because I'm not a political expert and there are things that simply are beyond my scope. Follow up questions are acceptable, but the deeper it gets the less likely I'll know!

Blog Entries

Yes, that's about all, I just wanted to know how hard would it be to frame someone for a crime or make the system clear you of charges despite the evidence/witnesses against you.

Hardest part would be if they brought in clerics or court wizards, but even Magic can be duped.