View RSS Feed

LakethePondling

one character ponies

Rate this Entry
In my time, I have run into a few people that only seem to like to play one specific character, instead of a whole stable. While it's entirely their choice, I personally don't think it's a great idea. Here are my thoughts as to why.

1. Limits your possibilities

There are a lot of games that are recruiting at any given time for a lot of players. If you take a look you'll usually find between one and five games in the recruiting office forum recruiting brand new parties or fresh blood for existing campaigns. There's all genres of games out there from horror to standard fantasy to steampunk. There's premade adventures like Curse of Strahd and entirely homebrew stuff. And all of those games need players.

They need frontline fighters, healers, skill monkeys, and casters. That gives a wide array of options for potential players. Staggering even. But if you only play with one character, that cuts down your options severely. You're stuck looking for that one slot that can possibly fit your specific character with your specific backstory and build.

2. It's not all about them

While you may have managed to find the one campaign your character can fit and have written your novella length backstory, and are ready to begin your epic quest to save the world from tea drinking eldritch dragons overlords or track down those that slew your uncle's cousin's cat ...there's one hiccup.

Tabletop RPGs are not single player.

The core of tabletop games is teamwork and cooperation. Your working together in a group to solve problems you could not do alone. No matter how powerful you are, 1 person cannot slay a dragon. It's done by groups all the time.

The only downside is your precious gem has to share the spotlight with the rest of the party. The story can't be all about your character, otherwise it's lopsided.

This might be okay in a video game RPG where it's single player and the story by necessity revolves around your avatars and their actions.

This means that the drunken dwarf monk and the slightly mentally unbalanced Teifling alchemist are as important as your half elf death god Paladin. You all need each other and therefore must share story and spotlight.

3. They're probably not as cool or unique as you think.

Like it or not, we don't create in a vacuum. We're all inspired by media and other people. We use this in creating worlds, nations and characters.

This means that no matter how cool or original you think your character is , your actually pulling from existing stories and games.

A drow using two weapons and brooding? Drizzt Do'Urden.

Likes to explore ruins with a whip and oneliners? Indiana Jones

A powerful mage with dead parents fighting a dark Lord? Harry Potter.

I could go on. It's fine to take inspiration. Just don't act like the idea is 100 percent yours.

4. Difficult to play with.

As someone who's played with something similar, I can verify that it's frustrating to play with this kind of player. That novella backstory? You're the only one to read it probably. Your DM may have skimmed it but they have other Players to worry about as well. I can guarantee the other Players groan inside a little every time your one played character starts on their backstory or takes center stage. They don't care about the scar on your characters pinky toe and the 3 page story of how thet got it.

What's even worse is these characters tend to overcomplicate plots and quests, sometimes even dragging the whole campaign off the rails.

Anyways That's my thoughts. Sorry for the ranty nature.

Submit "one character ponies" to Digg Submit "one character ponies" to del.icio.us Submit "one character ponies" to StumbleUpon Submit "one character ponies" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized