View RSS Feed

Welcome to the Multiverse

Girl overcomes seizures and recovers fully after nearly half her brain is removed.

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Article from MSNBC (with video)

A six year old girl who has struggled with Rasmussen's Syndrome has the majority of the left hemisphere of her brain removed to fight seizures. After three years of frightening and dangerous seizures, the girl woke up from surgery entirely paralized on the right side of her body. Four weeks later, she WALKED out of the rehabilitation center and hasn't had a seizure in two full years.

The story is amazing, highlighting the capacity and versatility of the human brain. From the power of human medical knowledge to the adaptability of a child's brain when thrown unexpectedly into extreme conditions, the story of this girl's struggle puts on display the many great acts of survival and problem solving that the human brain is able to preform.

But then, and I should have expected it, that horrible word comes roaring out of my laptop's speakers like a shreaking Nazgul out of Mordor. "I truly believe that miracles happen, and my daughter, Cameron, is a walking example of that." says the father.

(I'm probably not gonna be making any friends saying this, but I'm pretty sure it needs to be said)

Miracle?! He's calling this a miracle? How can you see your daughter battle a horrible, life threatening disease that drowned her mind in a flood of seizures and could only be brought to an end after the removal of half of her brain and a painful recovery of all that was lost in the surgery and see this as a miracle?

Where in this story do you see room for some kind of miracle, sir? What I see here is a battle between man (I suppose I should say woman) and nature. I see thousands of years of medical and technological advancement. I see millions of scientists and doctors who worked hard to bring our society to a level where we are able to understand and work to improve the way our minds and bodies function. I see your daughter and all the shitty conditions she had to overcome in order to survive and become the person she is now. I see doctors who dedicated their lives to applying the technological, scientific and medical knowledge and rescources around them to the problems this girl was facing and finding a way to give her a better life. And then I see you ignorantly screaming "miracle" and discounting all of the hardwork that so many people did to save your daughter from the short, painful existance that she so nearly experienced.

There is no miracle here. Nothing impossible has happened. To say that some fantastical magic bullshit suddenly cured her is to piss in the faces of the countless heroes who struggled to give your daughter a better life. Do not arrogantly mistake this for the answer to a prayer or the result of some kind of supernatural intervention. The only intervention here is the intervention of medical professionals. The only room for miracles is found within the gaping holes in your understanding of biology and medicine. And the person who deserves credit for overcoming these extreme difficulties is the little girl who's strength and determination has led her to live exceptionally.

Submit "Girl overcomes seizures and recovers fully after nearly half her brain is removed." to Digg Submit "Girl overcomes seizures and recovers fully after nearly half her brain is removed." to del.icio.us Submit "Girl overcomes seizures and recovers fully after nearly half her brain is removed." to StumbleUpon Submit "Girl overcomes seizures and recovers fully after nearly half her brain is removed." to Google

Updated 03-27-2010 at 05:24 PM by sexyfunkymonkie

Categories
Out of Character/Non-Fiction

Comments

Agreed. It would have been a miracle if half of her brain jumped out of her ear. And not to mention quite a sight to see.
    I would have to agree with you there, I'd say the only "miracle" in this case is as you put it was the intervention of modern medical science.