View RSS Feed

LakethePondling

DM Thoughts- How to build a Deity in roughly 5 easy steps

Rate this Entry
Hello once again. Thank you for reading my ramblings. Todays topic is construction of deities. While I'm well aware that Pathfinder, Dungeons and Dragons and the like usually come with a preset list of deities for you to use in your campaign and Greek, Egyptian, and Norse mythologies to name have a plethora for you to choose, sometimes you just want to build a custom deity or pantheon for a campaign, or even just a plot point or thread. So here's how to build a god/goddess from the ground up.
First step is actually the domains. Each deity will logically have a domain they rule over. You can select these from the preset domains in the cleric list or create your own. For this example, we're building a deity of the sky and space. So it would read like this:
Deity of Space, Sky and Weather
Second step is alignment. Figuring out where a deity is aligned is important for your divine casters especially, since they, at least in Pathfinder must be within one step of the deities alignment. This means that if you have a Lawful Good deity, (unless prohibited by class of course) you can be Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral or Neutral Good. In our example, a deity of the sky is probably going to be Chaotic since weather is unpredictable and most likely Nuetral since there's nothing inherently good or evil about the sky. So adding alignment it reads:

CN Deity of Space, Sky and Weather
Usually a name comes next. Stick whatever you want in. I usually start by hitting a random letter on the keyboard and going from there. Liek so. S. So...Skuolis.
Progress:

Skuolis, CN Deity of Space, Sky, and Weather
Next are names that people might refer to this deity by. This usually refers to their domain in some way. In our example god, people attribute the weather and patterns of stars and planets to him. So titles like Stormbringer, Windmaster and Starpainter all apply.
So our deity looks like this now.
a.k.a. Stormbringer, Windmaster, Starpainter.
Then comes the symbols and colors of the deity, again, draw inspiration from the domains or titles. In this case, a star inside a cloud and a bolt of lightning would work as a symbol of this deity and colors would be pale blue, black, and gold. Adding this in gets us....
a.k.a. Stormbringer, Windmaster, Starpainter. Symbols are Star inside a cloud, Lightning bolt
Colors are light blue, black, gold.
After you've built the symbols and titles, add any other information about the deity you want to. This includes if there's different factions that follow the deity or how people treat this deitie's followers.
Finally, I add in the Favored Weapon. This needs to fit with the domains somehow. Sky speaks to me of ranged weapons, so I'd say the Favored weapons in this case are Javelins and Bows.

a.k.a. Stormbringer, Windmaster, Starpainter.

Symbols are Star inside a cloud, Lightning bolt
Colors are light blue, black, gold.
FW: Javelin, Bow (any).
And that's all there is to building a god. Whew. I think people are next. anyways, ttyl.

Lake.

Submit "DM Thoughts- How to build a Deity in  roughly 5 easy steps" to Digg Submit "DM Thoughts- How to build a Deity in  roughly 5 easy steps" to del.icio.us Submit "DM Thoughts- How to build a Deity in  roughly 5 easy steps" to StumbleUpon Submit "DM Thoughts- How to build a Deity in  roughly 5 easy steps" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments