View RSS Feed

The Mad Wizard

OpenCartographer ... some solid advancements.

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
It has been again awhile since I've posted over at TTW. Mainly because the web page keeps forgetting who I am and I just got frustrated with entering my information in all the time. :sigh:

Anywho .. I have been working on some coolness on the side. I worked on an IronClaw dieroller that pulls data from an IronClaw PC Sheet. One special bonus is the little icon that Sanguine provided for the PC Sheet. If you are an IronClaw player, or if your not, you might want to look out for the release of that code into the mainstream. I've also been trying to put together a Ubuntu repo ... but it looks like I am at #FAIL for this one. This is because I have problems placing the files in the user's home folder, and I feel that is a must to keep the source in a place where it can be modified.

One to the title of this blog. OpenCartographer is seeing some good progress. The attached image shows several of the features that are going into the new Pious Paladin map. I am again reaching for a minimal UI so it does not absorb the entire screen. In the screen shot you can see the Tool Box window. If you look at the tabs on the current map with all of their data, all of that has been removed in favor of the Tool Box. The Tool Box can be hidden or shown by clicking the hard hat icon. It's pretty slick.

The map will now accept drag and drop's, even directly from your web browser. I plan on including a form of in house image transfer, or looking at fully integrating CherryPy and adding it with a defacto state of 'on'. The idea is to kill vestigial side software so the VGT is not just one tool in a users repertoire, but the entire tool box.

The map now has Z Order. You can see that Tool Box is a remodelled game tree. This isn't one you save on close, this will be an XML file that you save as a Map file, or as a Map 'Source' file. The Z order follows the order you see in the map. Background is at the back, then Grid (which is being drawn att he very back in this picture), then Miniatures, Whiteboard and then Fog. And inside the layers the same happens, only in reverse. The top most node is on the top. It will be really simple in a short amount of time.

The Tool Box offers a lot. Users can drag and drop images from Miniatures to Background layer. Shapes will be added later and those will be transferable as well. In the future sub layers will be added. Each layer can be hidden from everyone, or from other users. I the snapshot the background is hidden from other users and that is why it is transparent.

I am pretty sure I did not hit all the marks, but I want to look over what I have done so far. A lot is going into Pious Paladin. Admittedly it will be rough around the edges for the first release, it will smooth out though.

Enjoy the new snap shot.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot.png 
Views:	521 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	3173  

Submit "OpenCartographer ... some solid advancements." to Digg Submit "OpenCartographer ... some solid advancements." to del.icio.us Submit "OpenCartographer ... some solid advancements." to StumbleUpon Submit "OpenCartographer ... some solid advancements." to Google

Categories
//root: , //Traipse:

Comments

So is OpenCartographer the newest working name for your OpenRPG branch?

:note: I promoted this to an article and placed it on the front page.
    Updated 10-04-2010 at 01:28 AM by Ao
    No, OpenCartographer is a step in the development of Pious Paladin. OpenWorld was the game tree step, OpenCartographer is the map step. By working on the next milestone in steps, and producing a working software based on that step I make adopting the next milestone a lot easier. People may download PyQt and have that install way before the actual VGT is done simply because they wanted to use one of the other softwares.

I also want to work on an IM client / server, and that will be the chat step.
    I've added the changes to the OC repo, so if you have a running instance of OpenCartographer you can update and get the changes. If you are running a 64Bit OS you may need to clone the repo instead of using the provided .ZIP file. Sorry, I just noticed this problem today and will create .ZIP files for 64bit architecture later.

One of the special things I want people to take a look at is the new ImageHandler class in use. To few this, open up the Tool Box and click on the Images tab. Then open the Miniatures tree and look at the different images. Yes .. all of those images in the different nodes are threading and will be updated with scaled images from their source. PyQt is very awesome in this respect and here is how:

When a new image is added through the ImageHandler class a new thread is created to load that image. But the awesomeness is in pyqtSignal. Every thread sends a signal that tells the software it is loading the file and sets the image as the Fetching image. When the image is done loading it then sends a signal telling the software the the loading is done and updates the image with the new file. It's very awesome because it can handle a lot of images without the CPU or RAM being absorbed by loading. Your bandwidth will be absorbed while you download, but that will be crossed later.

Why is pyqtSignal so much more awesome in my eyes? The Server / Client relationship. I am planning to remove the timer from the Server / Client completely. Timer? Let me explain. While the server is working it has a timer that asks the Queue if there is new data, every three seconds of it's running life. The Client has a similar poll function that keeps asking the Queue if new data exists. It's a terrible drain on the computer and totally against my DIDO (Directly In Directly Out) computer science. With pyqtSignal, when new data is in the Queue the Server and Client will be told to pick up the data. It wont ask, "Is there new data?" any more.

First the map, then I will finish revamping the server.