View RSS Feed

Welcome to the Multiverse

New system in the works: how does it look so far?

Rate this Entry
I've been working on a homemade system that would bring more role-playing into combat, instead of forcing players to chose from a list of pre-made attacks/abilities.

So far, I've got what appears to me to be a fairly well balanced system for "buying" dice which will then be rolled when a player uses an ability that falls under the category of skills which the dice represent.
The roll determines both the accuracy and effectiveness of the action taken.

For example: if a player had "spell-caster" as a primary ability/class they would roll dice based on the number and size of dice which they bought using the table below.

Each row (left to right) represents a different size of dice, and each column (up and down) represents an increasing number of dice. (someone tell me if this is still unclear)

Skills/Classes
Dice Cost 1dx 2dx 3dx 4dx 5dx 6dx 7dx 8dx 9dx 10dx
d4 (3pts) 3 6 9 12 15 18 21 24 27 30
d6 (4 pts) 4 8 12 16 20 24 28 32 36 40
d8 (5pts) 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50
d10 (6 pts) 6 12 18 24 30 36 42 48 54 60
d12 (7 pts) 7 14 21 28 35 42 49 56 63 70
d20 (10 pts) 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
Start with d10s for primary skill.
Secondary skills should use d8s or d6s and tertiary skills should use d4s. You may not have more dice in a secondary skill than you have in a primary skill, and you may not have more for a tertiary skill than for a primary. (regardless of the size of the die)

You start with a single primary skill, and a single secondary skill. You may buy dice for these skill at the cost shown on the table. In addition, you may have as many tertiary skills as your DM allows. (A good limit might be two or four times the number of secondary skills you have.)

To increase the size of dice which a skill uses, the player “sells” the dice he or she has bought in that skill, and gains a number of points equal to the cost of those dice. The player may spend these points to buy dice of a larger size.
The DM should limit the number of primary and secondary skills a player is allowed to have. It might be good to limit the number of primary skills to no more than that player has secondary skills.

D20s are not typically used, however, the cost is provided here if you chose to use them.

Just a really basic system for buying dice (representing a character's skill in a certain area) The system will also include the following set of attributes:
Strength, Stamina
Dexterity, Magic
Intelligence, Charisma

But I'm not sure how these will factor in yet. They might increase a character's roll when using an ability/class by 1 for each point of that attribute a character has, each point would then likely be the equivalent of one point spent on dice (as explained above).

As you can see, this is just the starting point for my system, and any feedback (comments, criticism or complement) would be much appreciated.

Submit "New system in the works: how does it look so far?" to Digg Submit "New system in the works: how does it look so far?" to del.icio.us Submit "New system in the works: how does it look so far?" to StumbleUpon Submit "New system in the works: how does it look so far?" to Google

Comments