View RSS Feed

Tau Tower

The 30 Day Game

Rate this Entry
Been doing a little more thinking about this idea. Had some interesting feedback to the last Blog post which has contributed a few new thoughts.

So far this is a Concept without a specific Theme or Story. Mostly it is an attempt to maximize the interest and participation of the Players. If the Game is only going to run for 30 days few people will have time to get bored or become distracted by something else.

Right now I am focused on the kinds of Stories you can tell in one long run that lasts at most a few Game Days, perhaps a week. If you can avoid the distruptions of forced time jumps and the need to have a certain number of days elapsed the Game can run a little quicker.

In a way I think what I am trying to do is to get the Medium out of the way of the Game. Maybe a good way to say it is that it is that everyone has X amount of interest in any Y game. There are any number of events that can add to and subtract from the X amount but it generally slowly goes down for the majority of Players of any high intensity Game.

Submit "The 30 Day Game" to Digg Submit "The 30 Day Game" to del.icio.us Submit "The 30 Day Game" to StumbleUpon Submit "The 30 Day Game" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yeah, yeah, I get ya. Pretty rad idea man. Like everyone in the group has a virus that'll kill them beyond repair within a certain amount of time and the cure is going to be up for grabs for even less time, something like that right?

It's really difficult to have a long-term game hook that keeps people interested all the way through. I think it's a really neat approach to make the game short in order to increase the feeling of urgency and thus the intrigue and general attention. (People I roleplay with have anything but usually) I wish you the best of luck!
    Thank you. I think the idea has potential as well. You suggestion of a virus or something else to force them to keep moving would work pretty well. The important thing is to have a nice clear route to the end of the Game that does not get lost along the way.

I have come to realize that the times I enjoy most with PbP Games are when most everybody is online in the evenings with me. Even if it is only for a couple of hours we get so much done and the excitment level goes way up. As much as I hate to admit it I am just going to have to focus on groups of Players of that sort. I have always tried to let in as many people as possible but those on odd schedules or who can only post once a day just have a hard time keeping up.

What I am really going for here is a cross between a Live Chat-style Game and a PbP. The speed and intensity of Live with the Depth and Detail of PbP.