View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. On Class Design and how to Limit Optimization (or why the Fighter Sucks)

Yes. You read that right. Let me explain.

PCs are going to play a class throughout their entire progression, and you can't really change it (barring rebuilding, of course, but that's a whole other bag, and admits that the [insert class here] sucks). This means that their choice is pretty much set--if you've got X levels in class X, you're going to have that many levels in class X until you roll a new character. And the Fighter sucks. No, I'm not even talking about its power, since ...

Updated 03-18-2010 at 11:44 AM by Ghostwheel (Title Revision)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Feats and New Options

There are many feats out there that give more vertical power--that is, they make you better at what you already do. For example, Weapon Focus makes you hit more often; Toughness gives you more HP; Spell Focus makes your spells harder to resist, and so on.

Lately though I've become a little more enamored with feats that give horizontal boosts in power--that is, ones that open up new possibilities. Unfortunately, there aren't many interesting ones out there. For example, Fiery Fist ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Current Project: Revising D&D 3.5

Most everyone will admit that D&D 3.5 is very flawed; from unbalanced classes to a CR system that doesn't work, from skills that are useless to the 15-minute work-day, from the need for some kind of healing (though not necessarily that of a cleric) to the ability for characters who are balanced to a per-round environment to go for twenty encounters without a need to stop as long as they were getting healed.

In short, there are many problems with the system, and as of yet no published ...
    Tags: D&D 3.5 Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. On the Failure of Fumbles

Fumbles. They've never been anything more than an optional rule. While there have been, on occasion in different versions of the game, printed rules for fumbles, these have never been part of the core rules. Yet it seems most groups use them. That's not a bad thing.

However, I have come to the realization that most GMs use fumbles without considering the full implications of the set of rules they are using. So I'm going to lay out the implications of fumble rules.

Tags: botches, fumbles Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The Role of "Monsters" in Combat

Something that a GM needs to remember when designing foes for the players - especially foes created using the same rules the players use (humanoid enemies with class levels), is the difference in role between a PC and an enemy.

A PC sticks around. He faces, (in theory) on average, four encounters a day, every day. Generally, the player who makes him is planning on playing him for the duration of the campaign. The PC is created with the intent to live.

An enemy doesn't ...

Updated 03-14-2010 at 10:50 AM by Ghostwheel

Tags: monsters Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized