View RSS Feed

obtusehobbit

1. The creation of a system

Over the past couple years I have been involved in a variety of projects all with one common element. A completely home-brewed systems.

It started back in MetaWars, originally the idea was to create a basic structure for what was essentially a free-form game. Here I worked with Alexander Tau to make a system that fit the setting he had in mind. While the system we created was full of flaws it was my first real entry into this sort of thing, but served as a lesson in what didn't work ...

Updated 03-06-2011 at 12:49 AM by obtusehobbit

Tags: homebrew, system Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Martial Controller (4e)

Okay so I recently started playing 4e and one thing has been bugging me. The lack of a martial controller every other power source has a class that fills all the basic roles, Defender, Striker, Leader, and Controller.

Now the question is how would you do a martial control as controllers focus on AoE attacks, and Debuff effects. So after some thought I have begin working on a concept in my mind. Currently it doesn't have a real name but the concept is as follows.

A ...

Updated 06-17-2010 at 05:07 AM by obtusehobbit

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. PbP and Combat 2 (Action Resolution)

Okay this is part two of the Blog Series about my thoughts and suggestion on successfully running combat in PbP games. Last time I talked about order of action, this time I will talk about action resolution. By that I mean the method by which a PC or NPC action are resolved.

The primary issue here is the need of many action that require input from the GM or another player. This goes back to the issue that I presented in the Order of Action blog this creates a situation where the game ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. PbP and Combat 1 (Order of Action)

I don't know about the rest of you, but from my experience PbP games and combat have a tendency of not mixing well. The reason being in my mind is that most combat systems are structured under the assumption everyone is available for immediate response. However in PbP games that is not true many times everyone is on very different schedules and many times their schedules are not consistent. What I am going to in a series of blogs is talk about some of the issues with your standard combat system ...

Updated 06-01-2010 at 04:48 PM by obtusehobbit

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Online Gaming and Groups

Okay I have been gaming online now for about 3-4 years and one of the things that I have found to be difficult to deal with is the Group Dynamic.

Role Playing by its very nature is a a group activity, but a group only really functions when working together toward a common goals\. The issues is the anonymous nature of online gaming makes it easy for people to not be invested in that same group goals. This makes it easy for them to leave the group as a whole high and dry which can ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized