Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Erran
    It does answer it, thank you. I was hoping for the complete image of an adventure´s context: that which the GM´s answer is based on, and to which the answer applies. A link to a pbp game where your system is employed seems like a good idea.

With regard to purple prose: I wasn´t aware I was using that. Please accept my apologies. Writing on this site was also an exploration of what is possible between people. Of course, I can only respect everyone´s boundaries.
    It's currently not implemented in any game, to my knowledge. They're optional rules I made because I wondered how to approach the subject, and I haven't run a game where they would really be applicable yet. I might put them in the Feywild game, but that's not decided yet.
    It does answer it, thank you. I was hoping for the complete image of an adventure´s context: that which the GM´s answer is based on, and to which the answer applies. A link to a pbp game where your system is employed seems like a good idea.

With regard to purple prose: I wasn´t aware I was using that. Please accept my apologies. Writing on this site was also an exploration of what is possible between people. Of course, I can only respect everyone´s boundaries.
    Updated 04-13-2018 at 07:49 AM by Erran
    Quote Originally Posted by Erran
    Impressive... To have reached for an essence of the stars´ influence, and, having come back from those depths, at the surface, to wield new names and relationships... Or to be clever enough to make it look so In the context of role-play, a system, such as this one, raises in beauty above what the order and meanings can offer, as it gives to the interaction of players and game master a new dimension. A work of art, surely, to those who can appreciate it. Alas, to me, whose inexperience makes all look much like a magician´s Illusory Script scroll, it can do little more than set ajar a new door leading towards that world of wonders I aim to, someday, take part in. And I had this thought: If only there would have been some examples of actual play, to at least give one like me an idea of the extent to which this system´s use could influence an adventure... And so I ask, if only to meet a beginner´s fancy with kindness: If it would please the author, as in an opening of that door to possibilities wider, could the finding of such examples be, at some time, considered?
    Please don't use purple prose when asking for DMing help. It's difficult to read and generally makes people disinclined to reply.

Okay, so for the tools:
    Suppose I have proficiency for astronomy tools, a Proficiency Bonus of +3, and an Intelligence/Wisdom modifier (depending on what ability score you or your DM wants to use for this) of +3. That means I make astrology checks at +6.
    If I take the time to make an astrology check during downtime, the DM secretly rolls for me. A result of a natural 20 on my check gives me a total of 26, and I gain the benefits of Secrets of the Stars. As listed, this means I may pick from rolling for two random signs I wish to get revelations from, choosing a single major sign of my choice to get a result from, getting a result from the current major sign and a random sign, or asking a question with the requirements and restraints given.
    • If I choose a single major sign I want to specifically consult, the DM either rolls to give me a result from the 1d8 table associated with the sign, gives one of the results on the table that he/she decides is relevant, or, at DM discretion, gives me a result of his/her own choosing that fits the tone of the sign.
    • If I want one random sign and the current major sign, the DM does the same for the current major sign (which both of us should know), and rolls a 1d12 to determine what other sign results. If the random sign is the same as the current major sign, I would get three results from that sign instead of one, giving me an incredible amount of information.
    • If I ask to have both signs be random and for some reason they are both the current major sign, I receive four results from that sign! If one of them is the same as the current major sign, I instead get two results from that sign and one from the other random sign.
    • Otherwise, I can ask a question about something happening within seven days.

For example, my astrologist wishes to know if any significant battles will occur within the next seven days. The DM may reply, "The fate of two kingdoms will be decided near a red creek," and I might be able to use that to deduce what I can do to influence that or what that means to my character. Or I might want a result from the Shield sign and the DM could tell me "An enemy puts everything you love in danger. Find it and eradicate it." Or, I could ask for random signs, and the DM, after rolling, could tell me, "One of your enemies can be turned to an ally with the right approach," and "This is a good time for you to take a risk."

Does this answer your question?
    Updated 04-13-2018 at 01:10 AM by DarkisnotEvil
    Impressive... To have reached for an essence of the stars´ influence, and, having come back from those depths, at the surface, to wield new names and relationships... Or to be clever enough to make it look so :) In the context of role-play, a system, such as this one, raises in beauty above what the order and meanings can offer, as it gives to the interaction of players and game master a new dimension. A work of art, surely, to those who can appreciate it. Alas, to me, whose inexperience makes all look much like a magician´s Illusory Script scroll, it can do little more than set ajar a new door leading towards that world of wonders I aim to, someday, take part in. And I had this thought: If only there would have been some examples of actual play, to at least give one like me an idea of the extent to which this system´s use could influence an adventure... And so I ask, if only to meet a beginner´s fancy with kindness: If it would please the author, as in an opening of that door to possibilities wider, could the finding of such examples be, at some time, considered?
    Updated 02-06-2018 at 10:00 AM by Erran
    Pretty goshdang'd cool.