View RSS Feed

The Journey

The notions and musings from the player's side of the game

1. On Any Other Day

If there is one thing I'd like to instill into new players, it's to be open about how you're doing on game night. Some days, you'll be pumped. However...some days, you'll wish everyone would die in a terrible, terrible way.

We all have shitty days. It happens on a whim and unless you're some kind of super happy fun time psycho, it will affect your mood. People will notice this and will normally ask if you're all right. This is what normally happens. However, tonight's game night and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Back Up Characters and Mr. Healer

So, when it comes to being a player, I am Mr. Paranoid outside of the game. I worry about losing my spell list, so I make four copies of it. I worry about my computer crashing and losing my data, so I back it up nightly. I also worry about my character dying terribly, so I make a back-up.

Back-Up Characters (BUCs as I call them) are my insurance policy for myself. It give me a sense of comfort that if my main dies, I can always have a second one ready to go if something horrible happens. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Comedy of Bad Rolls

Sunday night was terrible. I mean...REALLY terrible for everyone all around. Our Scout, Dash Jackman, was ripped to shreds by a ghoul and our Gnome's riding dog got it's skull bashed in by a Zombie Troglodyte. We mourned their deaths for a few moments and then looted the corpses. It was the rightful thing to do.

However, Sunday night was moreso terrible for me. In combat, I didn't roll anything above a 9 and that includes modifiers. I critically failed 3 times in 2 combat sessions ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Back in the Saddle

It's been about two years since I've rolled the dice, real life or otherwise. It's...strange.

The best way to describe it is like learning how to walk all over again. It's hard at first, but over time, you get used to it. You remember how to move those muscles, how to balance. Soon, you're walking across the room, then down some stairs. Before you know it, you're running in a 10k and loving life.

I'm still using the bars and shuffling my feet.

I stopped playing ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized