View RSS Feed

World Building

Blogs both about the campaign setting I am creating (potentially for publication) as well as world building generally. Feel free to comment on anything and everything in these blogs and to start conversations about them.

1. Map #1 - West Continent

As some people know, I really hate drawing maps. It stems from me feeling like I have great images in my head, but my hands utterly fail at translating that to paper/computer screen. So my apologies for the long time coming. In the interests of me preferring to use a whole 8 x 11 sheet of paper, each landmass area will have it's own post and map. ...Then somebody with more awesome than me can put them all together and make one large image with everything.

Naturally, we want to ...

Updated 05-03-2010 at 02:38 AM by Aerthos

Tags: campaign, map Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    World Building
  2. Technology & Magic

As much as I'm dying to get to work on a map, I think I really need to nail down this whole technology vs. magic argument that I've already set up and alluded to a couple times. To a lesser degree I think psionics need to fit in there as well too, if only because psionics has gotten a bad rap since AD&D (when it was horribly convoluted) and because I think psionics are fun and exciting. Still, one thing at a time; and obviously there are going to be a lot of fuzzy parts in here because we ...
  3. Campaign Setting: Politics & History, Pt. 3

Now that we have all four landmasses more or less on the same page, we can move forward again. We set Year 0, and we have about 100 years' worth of happenings already. While we could go on forever creating history, I don't want to get too hardlined into things before we've even gotten to the point of defining nation-states and cultures (which will obviously shape history quite a bit in and of themselves!). So for right now we will simply put out a rough outline for perhaps the next 100-200 years ...
    Tags: campaign Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    World Building
  4. Campaign Setting: Politics & History, Part Deux

Okay, well we laid out the foundation for <East> and <West> after the Great War, so we need to do the same for <North> and <South> before we can bring everyone up to the present day and current politics. While not necessary, I do like the idea of our setting taking up a large space on a globe (perhaps even a whole planet!), and for some amount of realism that would also dictate different climates. I'm not a great map maker, so anything globe-like is out, but I like the ...
    Categories
    World Building
  5. Campaign Setting: Politics & History

Before we can do much of anything else, we really need to start thinking about the history of this world we are creating. Because really, that is what separates a full-fledged campaign setting from Your DM's Homebrew--a campaign setting has an in-depth history for many different cultures of your world, explaining how things got to where they are today and what the social and political arenas are like. If your DM does that much work on a regular basis... well then he probably needs to get out and ...
    Tags: campaign Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    World Building
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast