View RSS Feed

Musings

General musings not related to any other category

1. Tips to DMing Large Parties, Part 2

Building Combat Encounters
    Seasoned GMs know well enough that listed Challenge Ratings for monsters tend to be a very vague indication of just how "challenging" a particular trap/encounter will actually be for a party. This breaks down even moreso with large parties. Quite often what might be appropriate for a 4-person party will be only slightly easier for a 5-person party, but a complete cake walk for a 6-person party. On the flip side of that coin, a 6-person party can often ...
    Categories
    Musings
  2. Tips to DMing Large Parties, Part 1

In my long career as a GM, I have had a number of people praise me as both a good and fair GM, as well as one who handles large parties (5+ players) with ease. Since parties of size present some unique challenges for GMs of all skill levels, I figured it would make sense to include some of my general tips and thoughts on making these situations as painless as possible for you, the GM.

General Roleplaying
    Roleplaying encounters should be much easier in large groups. In these ...
    Categories
    Musings
  3. A Newcomer's Guide to The Tangled Web

Welcome to the Tangled Web! You are joining a large community of gamers quite literally as diverse as the world is large. We have members of all ages, playing all kinds of games, and literally living all over the globe. So regardless of who you are, where you live, and what kind of game you like you play--you are in good company. For starters, you're going to want to Register if you haven't already done so. You can read and access many areas of the forum without an account, but to really participate ...
    Categories
    Musings
  4. House Rules

I generally try to keep my house rules to a minimum to make for easy and consistent play, but this seemed as good a place as any to post them where any and all potential players can see them for reference.

1. Critical Fumbles: They exist and they must be confirmed. To confirm a fumble, roll 1d20. If you roll higher than 21-(your HD) then you do not fumble. i.e. a 1st level character has to roll a natural 20 on the confirmation roll to avoid a fumble, while a 9th-level character

Updated 09-29-2013 at 06:51 PM by Aerthos

Categories
    Musings
  5. PF Thoughts: Converting Non-Core 3.5 Base Classes

**Examples to be added as I have time.**

Pathfinder RPG has been out for a while now, and there are already tons of fan created conversions of non-core 3.5 base classes into the PF system. I have seen warlocks, beguilers, ninjas, even a favoured soul. Due to the nature of Wizards of the Coast's license on the material, fan conversions are the only way these classes will ever become PF material. This blog post is a collection of thoughts and insights for players and DMs alike to ...

Updated 03-18-2010 at 08:53 AM by Aerthos

Categories
    Musings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast